This solution takes a little bit of skill and knowledge on Office versions as well as understanding batch files. Use of the solution is at your own risk.
The July 2020 update for Office/Microsoft 365 has caused some series issues with Outlook not being able to open. In the event viewer it is logged as an application crash.
Note: This solution requires Office 365 to be the"Click 2 Run" version and to be run from an administrator account.
This solution will revert office to June 2020 version and fix the problem to allow Microsoft time to fix the issue. This solution can likely be used for future problems but you must change the version number in the script to the appropriate version you want to have installed found on Microsoft's website found here
- Open another office program such as Word, click File -> Account ->Office Updates and Disable the updates.
- Create a Batch file with the following code named revert.bat on your desktop
- Copy the following code to the batch script
"%programfiles%\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12827.20268
- Run revert.bat and wait for it to complete. Depending on your computer and internet speeds it could take a fair bit of time.
- Once you get a completion message, reboot your computer and run outlook. Outlook should now open.
I hope this helps all those affected by this issue!
Don't feel obligated, but if this did help you correct the issue please feel free to send a donation our way. You can use our contact form to find out different methods of payment and how much you would like to donate and we will help you out.